NETS is a new translation of the Greek Jewish Scriptures, entitled A New English Translation of the Septuagint and the Other Greek Translations Traditionally Included Under that Title (and abbreviated as NETS). This project is being carried out under the ægis of The International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies (IOSCS). The translators are specialists in Septuagint studies. Their translations follow rigorous procedures established by the editors. Oxford University Press publishes the translation. An accompanying commentary series is also planned.
Oxford University Press published the complete NETS volume in 2007. As of 2009, the volume is in its second printing, with corrections and emendations. The volume is available for purchase from many booksellers at a very reasonable price. Its ISBN is 978-0-19-528975-6.
The second printing of the NETS translations, including corrections and emendations, as published by Oxford University Press in 2009, is available in an electronic edition on this website.
NETS is also available as an Accordance module.
Further Information about NETS
- Statement of Principles
- To the Reader of NETS (in PDF format)
- "A New English Translation of the Septuagint," presented by Albert Pietersma to the IXth Congress of the IOSCS (Cambridge, July, 1995).
- Discussion of NETS at Xth Congress of IOSCS (Oslo)
- A Commentary on the Septuagint (IOSCS)
- A New Paradigm for Addressing Old Questions: The Relevance of the Interlinear Model for the Study of the Septuagint by Albert Pietersma (Post-publication PDF file)
- Albert Pietersma’s response to T. Muraoka, “Recent discussions on the Septuagint lexicography with special reference to the so-called interlinear model,” in Die Septuaginta. Texte, Kontexte, Lebenswelten, ed. M. Karrer / W. Kraus, Tübingen: J.C.B. Mohr (Paul Siebeck) 2008 pp. 221-235. (PDF file)
- Information for NETS Translators
Here are additional resources for the study of the Septuagint.
- IOSCS statement regarding critical editions of Old Greek texts
- Parallel Aligned Hebrew and Greek Jewish Scriptures (CATSS)
- Morphologically Analyzed Septuagint (CATSS)
- Old Greek Variants Project (CATSS)
- CATSS Transliteration System ("Beta Code") (CATSS)
- Information about Brenton's Translation of the Septuagint
- La Biblia Griega (Spanish translation project)
- Bible d'Alexandrie (French translation project)
- Septuaginta Deutsch (German translation project)
Suggestions for various types of material and linkages will be most welcome. (Send suggestions)